- Foxhunt a huge success. Images (3) on website.
- Appropriations/banking: Members need to complete the wishlist for Spring 2011 (see Mark's email for link); Will finished addendum to add GPS and power supply to our fall appropriations, awaiting approval (supposedly will be approved "ASAP") before doing order (probably after the Thanksgiving holiday). Internet fee also part of addendum and awaiting approval.
- Tower project: Bert and Tom met with facilities last week, got detailed procedure on how to proceed. Bert is finishing proposal work and will be submitting soon.
- ARRL Sweepstakes: This weekend (Saturday at 5 PM till Sunday late). All members encouraged to participate.
- Recruitment: Spring 2011 recruitment efforts discussed. Matt suggests physics email list. Mark mentions idea for another demonstration outside of Thornton in spring.
- Router/internet: Bert put together equipment list for Benneche; sign posted on door warning of improper internet use/honor code violation; RF analysis done on rig and in building
- Appropriations/banking: Will got BofA closed and direct deposit re-routed; money that remained in BofA was reimbursement to Will for chair purchases; GPS for HT and 2nd power supply still to be purchased pending download of form from @UVa
- Foxhunt: Saturday between 11:30 and noon at Bodo's; checked out UVa fox and antennas (a 440 beam and 2m yagi both setup, second 2m yagi needs SO-239 to female SMA adapter for HTs), Icom battery charged up overnight; Mark's roommate likely to hide fox
- Tower project: Tom and Bert spoke with Joseph Lahendro at facilities, but nothing heard back. Tom and Bert will try again Thursday 11/11. John Knight inquired about tower with William Thurneck (an associate dean in engineering)
- History: Bert added more history to club website, including 1970s QSL cards (two more!), ARRL November Sweepstakes and Field Day scores for 1979 and 1980 W4UVA clubs. Alumni desire to meet us for a designated Alumni weekend, dates TBD.
- Parts: Bert to request votes for reimbursement of RF chokes (to eliminate RF pickup on ethernet cable into PC) and postage stamps.
- Plaques from ARRL for last year's participation in the Sweepstakes contest
- Will: collected dues for deposit from Karolina Sarnowska; other action items from last week still apply
- Foxhunt: Meet at Bodo's between 11:30 and noon on Nov. 14; No car-based hunt; Matt to possibly hide fox (or Mark's roommate/other 3rd party). Mark to coordinate with Mike from VTARA.
- New Tower developments: Dr. Scott Barker is willing to assist the club in securing funds for labor costs of a tower install. Needs a plan and cost estimates from us in order to proceed. Bert and Tom to work this effort.
- Ongoing internet investigations in reactor building: Mark and Bert working these issues. Carobotics leader expressed concern about ham frequencies and interference. IG and Mitch Rosen investigating Carobotics and rest of reactor building for rogue routers and wireless interference to WiFi internet. Detailed information about every transmitter, regardless of frequency or purpose, requested by ITC through Paul Benneche (Mark and Bert completing form). Mark and Bert to meet with adviser Dr. John Knight to assess situation on future courses of action.
- Other: CQWW was great success vs. last year's contest results, with over 100 QSOs (vs. 34 last year); CQWW (CW) this weekend (Bert may operate some); repeater has controller problems where time/date memory keep getting erased (Mark to investigate, Bert may assist); Much more history added to our knowledge base thanks to 1970 alumni input! Peter Briggs (former W4UVA president from the '70s, avid local C'ville contester) to come to one of our meetings this fall.
CATEGORY: MULTI-ONE ALL HIGH SSB
OPERATORS: WF7I, KD5SDQ
NAME: W4UVA Amateur Radio Club
CREATED-BY: N1MM Logger V10.10.2
LOG BELOW Continue reading “CQ WW SSB”
- CQ WorldWide SSB contest this weekend!
- Starts Friday at 8 PM, lasts till Sunday 8 PM
- Bert, Pete, Karolina to operate; any others are encouraged to stop by
- Will: by sometime next week will submit form to request GPS unit for APRS HT, will also request extra power supply.
- BofA stuff: Will to check on account not closed out! Also TaxID address
- Internet: Pete to talk with someone about ITC fee
- O-Hill/Tower: Both probably dead for now
- Spring 2011 Appropriations: Be thinking about things you would like to order for club! We will make lists and discuss in November
- Foxhunt: Coming soon (two weeks), Mark to coordinate with Mike from VTARA
- Other (after meeting): Tektronix scope donated to W4UVA by robotics club; OCF dipole about 10 dB weaker than 40 m dipole according to multiple webSDR receivers around the world
LOG BELOW Continue reading “School Club Roundup”
- School Club Roundup contest
- Bert, Will, Karolina and Alex participated; over 120 QSOs in moderate operating
- Polyphasers and grounding equipment all in
- Will: Check on GPS unit for HT; check on ITC fee for internet; see if we can order additional power supply and possibly order USB receiver
- BofA fiasco: Will to call them again; also, update tax ID info
- Router issue
- Router still desired for inspection; TBD on additional actions needed; Club officers and adviser in discussion
- O-Hill repeater antenna
- Looks unlikely from email from Ed Murphy; suggestion is Aerospace Research Lab up the hill from us (but likely little coverage boost)
- Tower possibilities
- No consensus on tower location (whether at shack, on hill, aero lab, etc). Paul Benneche suggests to locate near the fence post where our existing 2m/440 antenna is mounted. Paul also had given Bert some information on funding sources for project labor. No official talks with university as of yet. Mark votes to leave situation well enough alone for now (use existing wire antennas).
- After meeting news: Alex now has callsign, KJ4YWP! Mark and Will's upgrade to General Class now official too. Alex has started building PSK-31 kit. CQWW contest coming next weekend.
- O-Hill alternate for repeater
- Tom says to contact facilities or astronomy department
- Pete to follow up with calls to a "WiFi" person, etc
- BofA fiasco: Bert will call them Thursday to resolve
- Decided to let the repeater unlock code remain available for members to learn about the repeater
- Will: Complete order for polyphaser on Friday; replace satellite dish polyphaser with model IS-50UX-C0 (HF polyphaser); check on what happened to Kenwood repeater software that we never received.
- News: Repeater cabinet built; barstools purchased and built (Will and Bert); Pete, Will and Matt now have keys; Mark and Will upgraded to General class on Saturday, Alex became a ham and has a Technician class license (and W4UVA got many compliments from Albemarle club)
- New projects:
- Bert and Pete to investigate how to install grounding system
- Bert to enlist Tom in revisiting tower installation options
- Other: Discovered stash of old test equipment which appears headed for disposal in basement of reactor building — Bert has sent email asking Paul Benneche about it and if we can use; More discoveries on club history made and will soon be added to website by Bert; Bert sending QSLs to old W4UVA alumni to request more historical information, stories and hopefully artifacts
- Reminder: license exams will be held this Saturday, October 9th at 9 AM at the NRAO building, 520 Edgemont. See details on club calendar (on website).
- New equipment: satellite receiver and cart for repeater. Once cart gets built, need to return old cart to Paul Benneche.
- Appropriations: Will to order two 24" barstools and meet Jamie to order from TESSCO (polyphasers), as well as see if we can order the GPS to go with the APRS Yaesu HT
- Votes: Club voted to change meeting times to 5:10 PM (unanimous); Voted to change constitution to replace "Vice President" with "Vice President-Secretary", eliminating "Secretary" position and creating a new "Equipment Manager" position (unanimous); Voted to elect Bert Herald as "Vice President-Secretary" and moved Tom Sielicki to "Equipment Manager" (unanimous).
- Repeater: Consensus is that coverage has improved, but many holes remain. Tom will investigate possibility of re-locating repeater to O-Hill. Mark will investigate mountaintop options. As of now, no changes to antenna.
- Club net: A new W4UVA net will meet on Mondays at 5 PM on the repeater. Depending on how schedules work for people, this date/time may get changed.
- Keys meeting: Will, Matt, Alex and Pete will meet with Paul Benneche on Monday at 11 AM for the tour and to get keys.
- Foxhunt with VT: UVa's best date appears to be Nov. 11th. This is the date we will report to VT.
- Events: School Club Roundup contest next week, anyone interested meet with Bert Herald at the shack next week.
- Other: Additional club history being added to the history section of our webpage. Feel free to visit and give Bert Herald feedback!
Note: This log was never submitted
CLUB: Amateur Radio Club at the University of Virginia
CATEGORY: MULTI-ONE ALL LOW MIXED
OPERATORS: WF7I, KG4AFB
CREATED-BY: N1MM Logger V9.11.0
LOG BELOW Continue reading “Field Day”